Tuesday, April 17, 2012



Happy Spring!

While I can find positives in any season or any part of the year, I believe that spring is my favorite.  This season brings a break to the cold weather that imprisons us in our homes and offices and the daylight hours lengthen so that we finally get to enjoy the outdoors.  Also, spring happens to be the season that includes my birthday, but more on that in a bit.

At this point, I have been 4 months graduated from Penn State and 2 months working in the chemical industry for The Linde Group.  I work for a company that separates the air we breathe into its individual elements (nitrogen, oxygen, argon) in addition to other gases (such as carbon dioxide, helium, and hydrogen) and places these molecules into numerous applications.  Probably the most recognizable application would be the "pop" in soda pop.  When you open a Pepsi or Coca-Cola branded soda, that beverage most likely consists of Linde's carbon dioxide.

I work in marketing and sales for specific projects that improve our brand awareness as well as maximizing opportunities for new customers to find applications for our technology.  It so far has been a rewarding experience that has included opportunities to travel to Orlando for trade shows.  (Yes, my first trip to Disneyworld was included in my agenda).

Outside of work, I have been getting involved with a group called charity:water, a non-profit organization based in New York City that brings safe and clean drinking water to developing nations.  Water is the source of numerous issues in developing nations including malnutrition, disease, and education poverty.


In my junior year at Penn State, I lay witness to one of the more interesting "turning 21" drinking parties.  This was the type of party that had everyone talking, including the school newspaper.  In fact, it was even getting lots of endorsements from groups and organizations around campus.  The most interesting thing was that not one drop of alcohol was served.  Every person was encouraged to make a suggested donation of $10 upon admission to the house party and nothing was served except water.  There were awareness posters around the house and even a slideshow/DVD playing on the TV screen. Every dollar that was raised went directly to water projects around the world.  We had a good time, wrote stories, and created memories.  From that moment, the issue of safe and clean drinking water has been a global issue that has resonated with my pathos.

This year, I am doing something that is very similar.  April 18 is my birthday and I will be turning 23.  Instead of gifts, I am asking people to give the gift that provides sustainability.  I am hoping that 23 people will make donations of $23, to bring a grand total of $529.  Calculations say that $20 brings water to one person for life, so we will be able to forever impact and change 26 lives (5 families) through this birthday campaign.  Charity:water sends 100% of its fundraised dollars to the field and even assigns GPS coordinates on GoogleMaps so that you can see where your donation has its impact. (My donation page)

I have been very blessed in the most recent years of my life.  I feel that I have been blessed in order that I may be a blessing to others, equipping them to do the same.  I appreciate you taking the opportunity to learn about this issue with me.  If this is something that strikes your fancy, I would love to hear about it.  I also hope that this season of spring will bring about new life and renewal for you, as well.

Grace and peace,
Mike Staub

You can learn more about charity:water here (no it's not a virus):: http://www.charitywater.org/media/downloads/charity_water_presskit.pdf.zip

No comments:

Post a Comment