Thursday, July 25, 2013

On this 25th day of the month...


Conviction Notice…

I love the month of December. I like Christmas especially in the Northeast as I get to snuggle into more clothes, sporting additional fashion.  The dry indoors are accompanied by sweaters. The short days can be a drag, but it is such a treat to drive through neighborhoods and see different people’s interpretations of the joyous holiday season.

At the top of my list of favorites from Christmas is the cheer. Outside of the general rush that is felt by some due to the pressures of the holidays, people are generally more pleasant. I notice more mingling among strangers. I notice Christmas cookies showing up on a whim in the office. I notice Salvation Army bells ringing throughout cities. I notice clothes drives, and missions trips, and all-in-all a great sense of camaraderie.

Josh Wilson, however, reminds us that Christmas is “more than once a year”.

While his song refers to the general acts that surround the holiday, similar to what I have already mentioned, I believe that his message is much more profound.

Christmas is more than once a year.
Love is more than once a year.
Christ is more than once (maybe twice counting Easter) a year.

Christmas is indeed a special time as the recent birth of the royal British baby gives a small snapshot into the hullabaloo that surrounds the birth of a king. Celebration and cheer is necessary, even liberating.

But Christmas is a small microcosm of the greater story, of the greater sacrifice, of the greater redemption, of the greater calling.

So I ask myself, do I live like Christmas is more than once a year? I think that answer may be similar to the question “are you satisfied with your prayer life?” which hardly concludes in a satisfactory response.

It is these reminders where I am thankful that no matter how many steps away I may be from God, I only have to take one in the right direction for He has made up the rest of the distance to meet me.

So I think it would be appropriate to say on this 25th day of the month…

Merry Christmas :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment